Contemplate is always keen to hear from outstanding individuals to join our talented development team – especially those with industrial experience of state-of-the-art tools for programmers – and is also seeking experienced sales and business management talent to help us grow.
If you’re interested in helping us change the way that quality software is built, contact us.
Current Job Vacancy.
Java Developer at Contemplate Ltd. (Edinburgh)
Contemplate Ltd. is looking for a Java Developer to join our team based in Edinburgh.
Your role will be to develop Contemplate’s product, ThreadSafe: a leading-edge suite of static analysis software for finding concurrency bugs in Java enterprise scale applications. This role has a particular focus on the user interface, user experience and the integration required to drive the development of this key area of our product. It includes development of plug-ins for Eclipse and Sonar, in order to provide rich information that helps users to find, triage and fix concurrency defects. Using your knowledge of APIs, libraries and frameworks in the Java ecosystem, you’ll help to customise the analyses to perform effectively on typical Java code.
You will be working as part of a team, collaborating with engineers who are developing program analyses in OCaml. This might involve some OCaml development, although prior experience of OCaml is not necessary.
By liaising with users and evaluators, you will develop insight into different approaches to investigating concurrency bugs. Using this feedback and your experience of developing concurrent software, you will help to identify and prioritise features and enhancements for the product. This will include proposing and specifying new analyses (and improvements to existing analyses) based on concurrency bugs in Java programs.
Skills and experience
You’ll have the following skills and experience:
• Java: plenty of experience writing and maintaining Java applications.
• Concurrency on the JVM: writing and maintaining software for the JVM that uses concurrency.
• Build tools: confident using popular build tools for Java, such as Maven, Ant, and Gradle.
• Java ecosystem: awareness of high-profile projects in the Java/JVM community.
The following skills are highly desirable:
• Static analysis: familiar with tools for measuring and improving software quality, such as FindBugs, Sonar, PMD, Checkstyle, CodePro Analytix.
• Open source: Capable of setting up a development environment for open-source projects and collaborating with developers in the community.
The technologies we use at Contemplate are listed below.
• Eclipse plug-in development: OSGi, SWT, RCP, PDE, JDT.
• Maven and Tycho. Ant.
• Git and Gerrit.
• Sonar plug-in development: including GWT and Rails.
We don’t expect you to be proficient with all of these when you apply, but strong Java skills are essential.
Contemplate Ltd is a spin-out from the University of Edinburgh. The company has undertaken significant R&D work, and having built on this, has already engineered and released its first product, ThreadSafe. The product is being used in a top-10 investment bank, and is being evaluated in other banks, other multinational companies, and implementation partners.
To apply for this position, send your CV to: